Helpers for Domestic Helpers (HDH) is a non profit organization that provides free advice and assistance on employment, immigration and human rights issues to domestic workers in Hong Kong.
Our mission is to ensure that every domestic worker in Hong Kong, irrespective of race, nationality, religion or gender, has access to justice and receives equal and fair treatment before the law.
In 2016, there are more than 340,000 Foreign Domestics Workers in Hong Kong. Filipinos comprise the majority, followed by Indonesians. The remainder is made up of Thais and other Asians.
Every year, HDH deals with more than 1,000 new clients and respond to an average of 3,500 requests for telephone and face to face consultations and assistance.
HDH focuses on empowering and educating foreign domestic workers and facilitating access to justice.
Services provided by HDH include :
- Explaining workers’ legal rights.
- Assisting clients in resolving matters directly with their employer when possible.
- Advising in civil or criminal cases including preparation of statements for use in legal proceedings.
- Providing support at court hearings and conciliation meetings.
- Liaising with relevant government agencies on behalf of clients.
- Assisting clients in the recovery of excessive and unlawful commissions charged by employment agencies.
- Educating domestic workers about their legal rights through seminars and workshops.
Over the past past 25 years, HDH has helped over 25,000 foreign domestic workers seek justice and safety due to the working environments. We could not have achieved such success without the volunteers who are so deeply committed to our cause.